Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show
Dubbed the greatest spectacle in American sports, the Super Bowl Halftime Show is just one of those projects that almost every live entertainment company dreams of participating in.
In 2022, for the Super Bowl LVI Halftime Show, we were fortunate enough to play a major role in setting the scene for legendary hip-hop artists, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Kendrick Lamar, 50 Cent, and Anderson .Paak to perform in front almost 112 million viewers!
What did we do to set the scene? Oh, you know, just made the ENTIRE football field look like a nighttime aerial view of Compton. No biggie. 😎
Here’s how we made it happen:
- We created 31,000+ square feet of field cover by stitching 1200 hi-res photos together. This equated to about 1.17 billion printed pixels! 🤯
- We HAND sewed 16,000 LED lights throughout the canvas to represent street, building, and car lights.
- We used 18 lighting control boxes to create about 17M possible LED color combos.
Ana Does Some Last Minute Alterations
Rehearsal Time is Key
To make it a real challenge, we had to keep in mind that once we were at the stadium and the 1st half of the super bowl game concluded, we had:
- 8 minutes to load in.
- 6 minutes to load out.
Both instances are less time than it takes the average person to shower! (That answer is 8.2 minutes!)
How did we manage those time restrictions? We hired the Road Runner and Harry Potter to create the ultimate combo of speed and magic…… But for real, we:
- Separated the overall piece into 20 sections.
- 12-15 people were assigned to each section and on cue, they strategically placed each section on the field to appear as one giant map of Compton.
- Once the performance concluded, they quickly folded in each section into a cart and rolled out!
PHEW, what a feat! The Super Bowl 56 Halftime Show project was definitely unforgettable – and required a ton of planning, a lot of patience, and a fantastic group of creative individuals. We are just lucky to have been called in to help make it all happen. We teamed up with some other power houses, like All Access Staging, Roc Nation, Es Devlin, Pepsi, NBC, SoFi Stadium, Tribe Design, and Diversified Production Services.
Halftime Images courtesy of Es Devlin