Production Design Program Manager
Do you have a love for the design process, an array of strong relationships, budget building prowess and most of all a desire to lead and develop a team on such a worthy mission? (Learn more…)
Responsible for the success of the Design team with emphasis on resourcing, budgeting, technical advising, and professional development.
- Define scope, budget and timeline for design projects with transparency with the goal of providing a balanced, creative workload for the team.
- Represent Design in discussions relating to new business development and broadening relationships with existing clients.
- Partner with the account management and legal team to professionally manage and negotiate client contracts with clear expectations while ensuring profit margins are met.
- Communicate daily, weekly, and monthly planning, goals, and results, as well as upcoming events, safety topics, and special assignments.
- Lead team to achieve goals; promote and demonstrate effective communication and positive culture, etc.
- Manage direct reports and their activities. This includes overall performance management; training and development; analyzing and resolving work problems. Oversee hiring and orienting of new Design team members.
- Leverage knowledge of the design process to be an advisor to the team at decision points, in client management, and technology.
- Facilitate the identification and solution to problems and root causes to issues.
- Establish team goals to meet or exceed performance expectations and develop a strategy for process improvement.
- Be a role model to all employees that is positive and proactive towards challenges, while living ATOMICs core values.
- Participate in the yearly budgeting process with Management. Support in monitoring the department spend with Management.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing appropriate standards and procedures and complying with those established by the Safety Committee.
- The Program Manager, Production Design reports to the Director of Technical Design and leads a team of Production Designers, Designers, and Assistant Designers. The Program Manager, Design works closely with other Program Managers, Operations Managers, and Account Managers.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of the design process to facilitate cross-team collaboration.
- Understanding of design software programs.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Relationship-building skills.
- People management and leadership abilities.
- Written and verbal interpersonal and team communication skills; strong listening skills.
- Ability to lead process improvement projects with effective problem-solving skills.
- Ability to take ideas from inception to fulfillment.
- Team building abilities. Ability to lead, develop, coach, train and inspire others.
- Ability to manage conflict.
- Basic understanding of finance and budget development/management skills.
- Ability to see the big picture.
- Knowledge of set construction, rigging, video, and lighting.
- Comfortable in a fast paced, deadline-driven, high-energy environment.
- Ability to understand and develop project budgets as well as read drawings and ground plans.
- Honest & Forthright
- Creative thinker
Credentials and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theatre, Arts Administration, Scenic Design, Production Management or related field with 5 years experience OR 10 years work related experience as a Designer, Art Director, Project Manager, Producer, or Account Manager.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in the process of Production Design.
- Minimum of 2-years’ experience leading a team and in a leadership role.
- Minimum of 1-year of experience leading process management.
- Exposure to change management practices.
- Maintain a valid passport.
- Those necessary for general office work.
- Primarily office environment, with warehouse environment at times.
- Travel with work outdoors or inside event venues.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the year, both domestically and internationally.
Hey there. Yes, we’re talking to you…the reader of this job posting! Before you move on, here’s something to think about. Job descriptions can be overwhelming to read and can feel like an exercise to fuel self-doubt. A career is a journey of personal and professional growth and development. This means that most of the time a candidate will NOT meet every single job requirement. Perhaps you’re feeling that in this very moment. Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply for a job unless they meet every single job requirement. ATOMIC is committed to being an inclusive team that provides opportunity for all and celebrates the individual! So, if you’re excited about this role, and you’re on the fence…boldly approach the “apply now” button below to learn more!