To collaborate closely with Project Managers/Technical Designers in providing project support on the technical aspects of set construction and installation. This position can be a career pathway to the Project Manager/Technical Designer position.
- Maintain a highly collaborative relationship with the assigned Project Manager/Technical Designer during the project process providing support in estimating, client communications, project meetings, and vendor coordination.
- Conduct design feasibility studies to solve technical design problems.
- Compile data and perform dimensional and routine calculations required for the preparation of drawings and design layouts by others.
- Design and draw two and three-dimensional drawings of show elements as assigned by the Project Manager/Technical Designer.
- Research a variety of issues throughout the project process.
- Prepare project documentation as needed (e.g., onsite packet, element list, truck pack, game plans).
- Source and procure specialty materials as needed.
- Proactively engage in the full project process including supporting the Project Manager/Technical Designer in working with the drafting team to ensure build drawings, CNC files, etc. are properly completed.
- Work with the floor Leads to review drawings and answer questions during the build process.
- Assist onsite with leading crews and overseeing strikes.
- Assist in the growth and development of others.
- Contribute to the development of a safety culture.
- This position reports to the Lead Assistant Project Manager and works closely with Project Managers, Drafters, Account Managers, the Director of Project Management, the Floor Manager and floor Leads.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic understanding of set construction and rigging.
- Solid skills in VectorWorks or other CAD programs.
- Knowledge of theater terms and operations.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of materials.
- Basic project management skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Strong math skills.
- Strong research skills.
- Emotional intelligence
- Attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
Desired Credentials and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical design (theater preferred) or related experience
- 2-5 years of applicable experience in the set construction industry
- Maintain a valid passport
Those necessary for general office work and occasional shop/onsite work
- Primarily office environment, with warehouse environment at times.
- Some travel, with work at times outdoors or inside event venue
Position Status: Full-Time
FSLA Status: TBD
Last Rev: 3/23/18